We are all about our condos and homes here at Village Communities, with condos in Columbus, Ohio, and we take the building of them seriously. We also know that it’s important to take care of our property, our belongings, and ourselves in any way we can. One thing we love sharing is common household items that can actually help you and your home. The one we’re excited about is of all things, baking soda. We know that it helps in baking, and we see it in toothpaste, but how can we use it every day?
- If a bee or wasp stings you or a family member – remove the stinger, then make a paste of baking soda and water and apply to sting. Use on mosquito bites too!
- Add it to bath water to relieve itchy, dry, or sunburned skin.
- Clean off baked on food by adding paste, then hot water and dish detergent. Let it sit, preferably overnight, and then wipe it out. Or boil a couple inches of water in the bottom of the pan, turn off the heat, and add some baking soda. Let it sit overnight. Clean it out in the morning.
- Fruits and veggies can be washed in a bowl of water with 2-3 TBS of baking soda. Then rinse off and dry.
- Mix 1 tsp. to a quart of water and wipe down the inside of the fridge.
- Clogged drain? Pour 1 cup of baking soda in the drain, and add 1 cup of hot vinegar. Wait a few minutes and pour a quart of boiling water into the drain. No more clog! Only use on metal pipes.
- Are your plastic containers stained from red sauces? Apply a baking soda paste and clean.
- Dishwasher smelling a little funky? Sprinkle 1 cup in the bottom of the dishwasher and run it on the rinse cycle. You can also put a few tablespoons in dishwasher between loads to keep it smelling fresh.
- Clean out your microwave with a bowl of water and a few tablespoons of baking soda. Place the bowl in the microwave and microwave it for 3 minutes. Remove bowl and wipe out the microwave. Clean and shiny!
- Spray surfaces (tiles, counters, faucets) with vinegar then sprinkle baking soda on them. Watch it fizz (just like your science teacher showed you in school) and wipe it up. Eliminate all the grime without harsh cleaners.
- Soak toothbrushes in ¼ cup baking soda and ¼ cup warm water overnight to clean the bristles. Great to do during flu season! (Of course, this doesn’t mean you don’t have to replace your toothbrushes!)
- Sprinkle baking soda on your walkways and porch to melt the ice and provide some traction.
- Add to the washing machine as it fills when washing towels, sheets, and any smelly clothes to remove odors.
- Put it in with the cat litter to eliminate smells.
- Sprinkle baking soda on rugs and carpets, let sit for 15 minutes and sweep.
- Add less than a ¼ tsp. to 3 eggs and scramble or make an omelet…light and fluffy every time.
- Working with smelly foods-garlic, onions, or fish? Pour some baking soda in your hands and scrub. No more smell!
- Keep weeds and grass out of seams between pavers or sidewalk cracks by sprinkling baking soda over it and sweeping it into the cracks. It will kill the weeds and grass without any chemicals.
There are so many uses for baking soda. What ones would you add to our list? Just remember that if you are looking for a new condo that you can live in and be able to clean with baking soda, we’ve got just what you’re looking for!